As of July 1 I began posting my daily photos over at my main blog, A Fresh Perspective.
I found the need to eliminate one blog, and since this one came second, this is the one.
I hope you will choose to join me over at A Fresh Perspective for daily photos, photo challenges,
and some other fun stuff thrown in.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 25

Tired of my bug pictures yet?  :)  I just cleaned the caterpillars' box and thought I'd get a few more pics of them before they move on to the next stage.  (And, yes, I know this isn't a great pic).  Soon they will be forming a "J" from the ceiling, shedding their skins, and beginning to weave their chrysalis.  Hopefully I will be able to get photos of their different stages.  

This caterpillar thing has been a bit of a roller coaster ride of emotions for me.  I posted the other day that the little baby died.  :(  But then we found 2 more big ones.  :)  Well, the wind gusted yesterday and knocked the box down (again!) and we lost 2 more caterpillars.  :(  Literally lost them.  We looked all over and were unable to find them.  But Nick found another big caterpillar today.  :)  Perhaps it was one of the ones we lost?  I doubt it though.  Anyway, now we have 4 big ones (pictured here) and one smaller one who is living alone in another container.

I was reading online that monarch caterpillars in the wild have about a 10% chance of becoming butterflies, but in captivity they have about a 90% chance.  Of course, that isn't taking into account kids at the Vensel household.  :) 

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Whoa...you guys are going to have butterflied galore!! I don't guess we have those down here in AR in catapillar form..ha!

Jenna said...

Whoa...you guys are going to have butterflied galore!! I don't guess we have those down here in AR in catapillar form..ha!