Tired of my bug pictures yet? :) I just cleaned the caterpillars' box and thought I'd get a few more pics of them before they move on to the next stage. (And, yes, I know this isn't a great pic). Soon they will be forming a "J" from the ceiling, shedding their skins, and beginning to weave their chrysalis. Hopefully I will be able to get photos of their different stages.
This caterpillar thing has been a bit of a roller coaster ride of emotions for me. I posted the other day that the little baby died. :( But then we found 2 more big ones. :) Well, the wind gusted yesterday and knocked the box down (again!) and we lost 2 more caterpillars. :( Literally lost them. We looked all over and were unable to find them. But Nick found another big caterpillar today. :) Perhaps it was one of the ones we lost? I doubt it though. Anyway, now we have 4 big ones (pictured here) and one smaller one who is living alone in another container.
I was reading online that monarch caterpillars in the wild have about a 10% chance of becoming butterflies, but in captivity they have about a 90% chance. Of course, that isn't taking into account kids at the Vensel household. :)