As of July 1 I began posting my daily photos over at my main blog, A Fresh Perspective.
I found the need to eliminate one blog, and since this one came second, this is the one.
I hope you will choose to join me over at A Fresh Perspective for daily photos, photo challenges,
and some other fun stuff thrown in.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

2011-05-04

2011-05-04
ISO 400, f/5.3, 1/500s, D3100 w/55-200mm lens
On the way home from preschool today, we drove past a local water reservoir, as we often do ... looking for geese and other birds and seeing how high/low the water is.  We saw what we think is a Blue Heron as we drove over the bridge, so we parked the car, I changed to my 55-200mm zoom lens, and we quietly walked back to the bridge.  However, we weren't quiet enough because he flew away before I could even get a shot off (too many bushes/trees in the way).  So we went back to the car disappointed.  
While I was putting my camera back in the bag, Alex says, "Look Mommy!" because this little guy had appeared in the woods right beside where we were parked.  I believe it is a Ruffed Grouse, which is Pennsylvania's state bird.  He was pretty curious about us as we sat there for a few minutes and watched him and took pictures.  When I finally started my car to leave, he quickly made his way over to check us out.  I had to wait to drive away until I could see him again, as he had gone in front of/under my car.  I thought that was odd. You would think the car starting would have sent him running.  Anyway, I was excited that he came so near because I got some really close shots of him.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

How cool is that? It's neat when stuff like that happens. Great picture, Kimberly!

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

yes, it is a wonderful shot of him. not sure I have seen one before

Unknown said...

Cool! I've never heard of a Ruffed Grouse. Awesome shot!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bird! So glad he was friendly and willing to pose!

Gretchen said...

Gorgeous shot! How lucky to have such a fun visitor! =)