As of July 1 I began posting my daily photos over at my main blog, A Fresh Perspective.
I found the need to eliminate one blog, and since this one came second, this is the one.
I hope you will choose to join me over at A Fresh Perspective for daily photos, photo challenges,
and some other fun stuff thrown in.

Monday, May 16, 2011

2011-05-16

2011-05-16
ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/200s, 18-55mm lens
We picked a bunch of these flowers this evening from what we call the umbrella plants that grow in the woods.  We didn't even know they grew flowers!  (The flowers are hidden underneath their big leaves.)  I'm still trying to identify what the plant actually is.  It is remarkably hard to identify a plant when you haven't a clue what it might be.  :)  Anyway, the flowers have short little stems so I placed them in a bowl of water so they kind of look like water lilies.


EDIT:  A friend just informed me that these are Mayapple flowers.  The plant, leaves, and root are poisonous, which probably explains why my fingers were itchy all evening (not so much now).  Next time I pick the flowers, I will wear gloves.  :)

6 comments:

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

really nice shot of these Mayapples, like the way they fill the frame and nice soft color ~

Susan said...

Pretty!

SKCPhotos said...

Beautiful shot. Never seen these before.

Jennifer Thompson said...

Very pretty flowers.

Michelle said...

These are beautiful! Bummer about the itchy fingers...glad all is well.

Gretchen said...

Gorgeous! I've never seen them before either, but I like them... and it's good to know that I shouldn't touch them! =P